Lululemon has been making luxurious yoga wear since 1998. Since then, the Canadian brand has expanded and now sells activewear and general fashion clothing, as well as accessories. The business runs a successful e-commerce website as well as owning many stores across the globe.
Many people believe that Lululemon is only for yogis and pilate lovers. However, that is far from the truth and the brand appeals to a range of customers, including both men and women. Its activewear pieces are also great for more intense workouts and can endure a variety of exercises.
The company is one of the more expensive athleisure and yoga wear brands out there. However, the price of the products has not affected the popularity of Lululemon in a bad way at all, and people are still as keen as ever to snap up something from this brand.
Since a pair of Lululemon leggings or a yoga top can cost a lot of money, it’s good to know beforehand whether this company is worth buying something from or not. Here are all of the important things you need to know about this popular athletic wear company so that you can decide whether to shop here or not.
What’s So Special About Lululemon?
Lululemon is popular with customers because the brand offers luxurious clothing to customers, that is made from good quality materials, and feels great on the skin. The company originally used materials like cotton and nylon but has since developed its range of own materials, to create the perfect feeling for consumers.
Some of these materials include:
- Luon, a breathable and soft cotton-like material, that is used in yoga leggings.
- Luxtreme, a stretchy and sweat-wicking material for running shorts and pieces made for more intense activity.
- Nulu, a ‘buttery-soft’ fabric that stretches to complement yoga routines and offers extreme comfort.
- Nulux, a material created for running and offering a lightweight feel, that makes it seem as though you aren’t wearing anything at all.
The four materials above are extremely high-quality and long-lasting, which is why buying a Lululemon item is more like investing in a durable piece of activewear. There are many other materials that Lululemon has developed in their in-house laboratory, that offer other benefits.
One appealing factor for both male and female customers is the use of Silverescent technology in clothing such as t-shirts. This first-rate textile prevents odors from forming and staying in material and reduces the build-up of the bacteria that causes this.
Does Lululemon Sell Only Yoga Clothing?
Not only does the company offer a range of fabrics to cater to different workout sessions, but they have branched out and now sell a variety of different clothing options. These include:
- Men’s polo and button-up shirts.
- Men’s stylish pants.
- Women’s flared and fashion pants.
- Accessories and gym gear.
- There are also swimming, tennis, hiking, and golf pieces.
The fact that Lululemon has expanded into general athletic wear shows why this business is so special since it doesn’t just offer yoga pieces but now creates a variety of workout clothes for different sports. This makes it a brand that is appealing to all athletes.
Why Is Lululemon So Expensive?
As mentioned before, Lululemon is a luxury brand and this is reflected in the high price points. However, the fact that a brand is expensive doesn’t mean you should avoid shopping there. More often than not, it can indicate how great something is! There are several reasons why Lululemon’s pieces are so expensive.
- Materials. The brand makes use of its own materials that have been developed in-house. Although these are made up of various textiles that appear in other fitness wear brands, Lululemon has created its own mixes of these to create materials that have a range of unique fabric features. These can either offer the perfect feel or the best stretch to ensure you can do every single yoga pose.
- Quality. On the whole, all Lululemon pieces are of high-quality and are resistant to wear and tear and any extra damage.
- Reputation. Over the last couple of decades, the brand has built up an impressive reputation. Lululemon leggings are the go-to products for yogis, and the company has become a leading name in fitness apparel. For this reason, they can charge a little more than other competitors, since people are more than willing to pay for an item with the name of this company on it.
- Production Costs. As is the norm with anything that costs a lot to create, Lululemon pieces are made from only the finest of materials. A team of people is employed in the company’s research lab to ensure that all customers get the best experience when wearing a piece from this company. Since so much care goes into designing and creating items, it means that the final price is higher.
- Marketing and Exclusivity: Great marketing has meant that the brand has been able to gain an army of loyal customers who are willing to pay higher prices. Although the business is highly successful and it’s possible to purchase Lululemon pieces around the world, there is still a hint of exclusiveness that comes with this brand. People like to feel that what they are wearing isn’t something that everyone else has, so for this reason, a high price tag is often an appealing factor. It reflects the fact that this brand isn’t available for everyone to buy.
Is Lululemon Worth The Money?
If you’re interested in buying something from Lululemon, it would be worth knowing on average how much certain pieces cost. One of the brand’s most popular pieces is the Align Pant. There are various styles of the Align Pant, with one pair retailing for around $98, which isn’t too expensive when you compare the cost of brands such as Gymshark, Nike, and Adidas. However, the high rise Align Pant option costs $118, which is quite a lot for a pair of leggings.
Another popular Lululemon legging item is the Wunder Unders Pant. A pair of these are on sale at the price point of $98, which is a little cheaper than the Align Pants, but still not super cheap. Sports bra options range anywhere from $78 to $178 and men’s clothing items are also expensive, with a pair of black men’s joggers costing around $128.
So, is Lululemon worth the money? In some ways, yes it is.
- Firstly, the brand uses first-rate material and a lot of time and consideration goes into making pieces that consumers will love. The clothing is also incredibly comfortable.
- Secondly, the pieces work! The brand creates extra-stretchy leggings that support and flatter physiques. As well as this, it creates sports bras and other items that assist women and ensure that everything stays in place where it should.
- The workout gear has many uses and is extremely versatile. Use it for a pilates session, or a spin class.
However, in order to make this review as unbiased as possible, it’s important to note that there are some reasons why it isn’t worth spending a lot of money on something from Lululemon.
- The brand is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and there are many customers who have left negative reviews, citing that they have received damaged goods and have had problems with customer service and the return policy.
- The company relies on its popular name in order to market the price of goods up.
- There are several rival athleisure wear brands out there that create good-quality pieces that are a lot cheaper.
So, ultimately it is up to you, the consumer, to decide whether you want to spend a bit more money on something from Lululemon. If you love the designs and style of the brand, and its overall ‘holistic vibe’, then it’s a good investment. But, if you don’t have a lot of money to spare, perhaps it isn’t the company for you.
Which Brands Are Better Than Lululemon?
If you’re reading this review and thinking, ‘Lululemon is a little bit too pricey for me,’ but you’d still like to invest in some good gym wear, then you’ll want to know what other brands are out there. Many people often compare Gymshark to Lululemon, even though the two businesses have a different mission and appeal. However, Gymshark creates some great items, but is Gymshark better than Lululemon?
Gymshark is comparably cheaper in all areas when compared to Lululemon, with some of its most popular leggings retailing for around $60. The company prides itself on knowing what the consumer wants and creates young and fashionable pieces that appeal to a more youthful demographic. The leggings in particular provide a snug fit and have contouring features that seem to lift the bum and accentuate the wearer’s assets.
However, it is undeniable that Lululemon uses a higher quality material in its products, especially those made for yoga. Even when compared to companies such as Nike and Adidas, these brands fall short of the high standards that Lululemon has set when it comes to yoga wear.
A brand that definitely rivals Lululemon in terms of price and quality is Sweaty Betty. This yoga and pilates wear company is UK-based and has quickly become a firm favorite amongst yogis. Its pieces are a little more affordable than Lululemon’s, yet are still stretchy and supportive, providing yogis with what they need.
So, if you like Lululemon’s designs but you dislike the price points, then take a look at some other brands. There is plenty of choice out there, and you can decide whether the quality is enough to make you spend a larger sum of money.
What Are The Best Lululemon Leggings?
If you have your heart set on owning something from Lululemon, then by far one of the most popular, and best, clothing options is the brand’s infamous leggings. There is a range of styles and lengths so that you can find the best fit for your body type. We’ve researched the brand’s bestselling leggings to provide you with a couple of options.
Super High Rise Align Pants 28″ – $98
This align pant is designed for yoga and is made from Nulu fabric. These leggings have a soft feel and are extremely supportive thanks to the super high rise waistband. This ensures that they have a secure fit and caress your body. As well as this, these align pants are moisture-wicking, so absorb sweat, meaning that you won’t feel clammy or soaking wet if you break a sweat.
Speed Up Tight Leggings 28″ – $108
These leggings are made for running and have a tight fit to support the runner’s muscles and movements. The leggings are made from smooth, Luxtreme fabric that offers a four-way stretch. This ensures that you can stretch, run, and jump as much as you want. Like most Lululemon pieces, these leggings are also moisture-wicking, so you can push yourself as hard as you want to.
Is It Worth Shopping At Lululemon?
If you want to buy some lovely leggings that feel silky smooth against your legs and provide you with a lot of movement and flexibility, then it’s definitely worth shopping at Lululemon. Remember, that the brand is expensive, so if you are strapped for cash, it may not be the best place to buy your gym gear from. However, overall you are guaranteed to get some decent pieces that will be gym closet staples for a very long time.