|Gender(s)||Men’s & Women’s||Women’s|
|Sold in Dept Stores||No||No|
|Sold on Amazon||No||No|
|Avg Price of Leggings||$88 to $138||$62.99 to $72.99|
|Sizing (Women’s)||0 to 14||00 to 17|
What Is Astoria Activewear?
Astoria Activewear is a US woman-owned lifestyle brand focused on activewear for women. They promise to always bring you quality activewear to empower customers to reach their goals. Astoria Activewear has grown in popularity through its online-only sales model, as evidenced by its 519k followers on Instagram.
The owner of Astoria Activewear, April Nottingham founded the company in 2018. An eastcoast-native, she was raised in Virginia and attended the University of North Carolina. Her unique style and enthusiasm for women’s fitness led to her gaining over 100k instagram followers which served as a platform for launching the Astoria Activewear brand.
What is Lululemon?
Lululemon was founded in Canada in 1998, and offers athletic apparel for yoga, running, and training for women and men; the brand can be purchased both online and in brick and mortar stores. While Lululemon offers both men’s and women’s apparel, they are most famous for their women’s activewear.
LULULEMON V ASTORIA ACTIVEWEAR: COMPARING THE BRANDS
While Lululemon is a more established brand, Astoria Activewear is quickly growing and cornering the market in women’s activewear. We’ll focus on products and materials, sizes, price, and customer satisfaction to bring you the facts about each brand.
Range Of Products
Astoria Activewear: A glance at this company’s website tells you immediately that it is a woman’s only brand offering colorful, stylish and quality options for activewear.
- Astoria Activewear sells tank and crop tops, shorts, sports bras, and leggings.
- There are a few styles for each different clothing item, and two main lines: Astoria Seamless, and Astoria Luxe.
- The Seamless range is designed to envelop the wearer’s body better and create a tight fit.
- The Luxe range aims to offer luxury materials that feel like butter against the skin.
- Within both ranges are legging, sports bra, and top options. This means you can create entire matching outfits to stand out in your fitness endeavors.
Lululemon: Since Lululemon offers both men’s and women’s clothing, they have a wider range of products; their offerings are also colorful, stylish and functional.
- Lululemon sells dresses, pants, underwear, coats and socks as well as fitness accessories.
- Other offerings include backpacks, bags and cold weather accessories like gloves, mittens and scarves.
Our View: Lululemon is the winner due to the sheer variety of products they sell; Astoria Activewear focuses on meeting the needs of women in the fitness arena. Both brands have many loyal customers, which is obvious when looking at their social media followings.
Designs And Style
Astoria Activewear: Made for women, this apparel line features both bright and more muted, pastel colors. There are matching pink crop top and legging sets, and bright yellow outfits that will surely make you stand out, as well as fun patterns and eye-catching designs.
- The brand offers a lot of girly pieces, which is nice for those who want to emphasize their femininity in the traditionally male dominated spaces like the weight room. There is the Astoria Luxe Scrunch Bow Legging, which comes in a variety of colors and has a fun bow located at the back.
- As well as the above, the range features leggings that have contour and scrunch features on the booty, which enhance the wearer’s derriere and boost confidence.
- The range of matching tops and leggings allows women to show off their femininity and still look good while working towards their fitness goals.
Lululemon: Made for both women and men, this brand’s technical apparel is designed to fit into an active lifestyle. They offer loungewear, leggings, outerwear, and cold weather gear.
- The brand offers bright colors, more muted basic colors, and simple patterns to appeal to a broad range of clientele.
- Sports bras are offered in a range of support and coverage options.
- Hoodies include zip front, crop length, and oversized styles so there is sure to be something to appeal to everyone.
Our View: In terms of design variety, Lululemon offers more, but Astoria Activewear features nice designs and innovative fits. It would be nice if Astoria Activewear could branch out into different fits of clothing, like oversized hoodies, to complement their current brand offerings.
Astoria Activewear: The brand lists some textiles used in their products. Nylon and spandex are the most commonly used materials. When describing their product materials, the brand focuses on the feel and performance of their fabrics to clue the buyer in to things such as
- Buttery-soft feel fabric.
- Ribbed texturing offers non-slip movements.
- Wick sweat fabric
- Maximum support and breathability
Lululemon: This brand does a good job of naming the specific textiles and fabrics used for each item listed, which can be essential for those with skin allergies or other sensitivities. The products are recognized for their comfort and durability.
Our View: While Lululemon has the edge in listing the actual fabrics used, Astoria Activewear is better at describing the wearer’s experience of the items.
Astoria Activewear: This company’s products aren’t extremely expensive, but they certainly aren’t cheap either.
- Women’s leggings range from $64.99 to $69.99.
- Sports bra options retail at $51.99 to $59.99
Lululemon: Lululemon is definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum for athleisure wear.
- Women’s leggings range from $88 to $138
- Sports bra options sell from $48 to $68
- Hoodies are listed from $88 to $178
Our View: Astoria Activewear offers a better price point for most of the items they sell than Lululemon. Both retailers regularly offer coupon codes for better deals.
Astoria Activewear: Astoria offers its pieces in sizes XS-XL. They provide a sizing chart on the website which indicates that they fit US sizes 00-17.
Lululemon: Lululemon offers sizes from 0-20, with varying inseam lengths on leggings to get a more streamlined fit.
Our View: Both brands could do better when it comes to size. More and more plus-size shoppers are keen to get fit and having access to good quality gym wear is an essential part of this.
Astoria Activewear: On Trustpilot, this company has a 4.8 rating.
- Consumers on Trustpilot say that the quality of clothes is good.
- The company offers a store credit return option. This means consumers don’t get a refund and instead can purchase another item if they are not happy with their order.
- Customers have 21 days to return unwanted items and have to pay to return these.
Lululemon: On Trustpilot, this company has a 1.9 rating, with 68% of reviewers reporting a bad experience.
- Consumers have had many negative experiences with shipping and returns, though it does seem that the brick and mortar stores generally leave people more satisfied than online ordering and returns.
- The return policy seems clear cut and standard, but consumers complain about getting the runaround when actually trying to process returns.
- Their online order fulfillment seems problematic.
Our View: While returns seem to be an issue with both of these retailers, Astoria Activewear purchasers seem much happier with the products they receive and the timeliness in which they receive them.